- Ph.D. in Built Environment, University of Washington (UW). 2012.
- Master of Landscape Architecture, University of Pennsylvania. 2003. Graduated with honors.
- Bachelor of Arts in Economics, National Taiwan University (NTU). 1996.
Flood resilience; flood adaptation in the urban area; urban stream and river management; urban sustainability; ecological design & planning; ecological wisdom; green infrastructure; coupled human-natural systems; land resumption and displacement; urban housing.
Peer-reviewed Journal Papers
- Qiao X-J, Liao K-H, Randrup TB. 2020. Sustainable stormwater management: A qualitative case study of the Sponge Cities initiative in China. Sustainable Cities and Society 53: 101963. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scs.2019.101963.
- Liao K-H. Chan JKH, Huang YL. 2019. Environmental justice and flood prevention: The moral cost of floodwater redistribution. Landscape and Urban Planning 189: 36-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2019.04.012
- Liao K-H. 2019. The socio-ecological practice of building blue-green infrastructure in high-density cities: what does the ABC Waters in Singapore tell us? Socio-Ecological Practice Research 1(1): 67-81. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42532-019-00009-3.
- Campos BC, Liao K-H, Yiu CY. 2018. The displacement risks and impacts of Hong Kong’s nonindigenous villagers: A ground theory analysis. Urban Affairs Review, 1-20. https://doi.org/10.1177/1078087418766607.
- Liao K-H, Le AT, Nguyen KV. 2016a. Urban design principles for flood resilience: Learning from the ecological wisdom of living with floods in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta. Landscape and Urban Planning 155: 69-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2016.01.014
- Liao K-H, Chan JKH. 2016. What is ecological wisdom and how does it relate to ecological knowledge. Landscape and Urban Planning 155: 111-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2016.07.006
- Campos BC, Yiu CY, Shen J, Liao K-H, Maing M. 2016. The Anticipated housing pathways to homeownership of young people in Hong Kong. International Journal of Housing Policy 16(2): 223-242. https://doi.org/10.1080/14616718.2015.1130605
- Liao K-H. 2014a. From flood control to flood adaptation: A case study on the Lower Green River Valley and the City of Kent in King County, Washington. Natural Hazards 71: 723-750. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11069-013-0923-4
- Mugerauer R, Liao K-H. 2013. Ecological design for dynamic systems: landscape architecture’s conjunction with complexity theory. Journal of Biourbanism (2012)2: 29-49. https://journalofbiourbanism.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/jbu_vol2_issue2_2012.pdf
- Liao K-H. 2012. A theory on urban resilience to floods—a basis for alternative planning practices. Ecology and Society 17(4): 48. https://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol17/iss4/art48/
- Tan PY, Liao K-H, Chan J. 2018b. Landscapes in urban areas. Chapter 1 (p. 16-23) in Tan PY, Liao K-H, Hwang YH, Chua V, editors. Nature, Place & People: Forging Connections through Neighbourhood Landscape Design. World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., Singapore.
- Liao K-H, Tan PY. 2018. A conceptual framework for neighbourhood landscape design. Chapter 3 (p. 58-77) in Tan PY, Liao K-H, Hwang YH, Chua V, editors. Nature, Place & People: Forging Connections through Neighbourhood Landscape Design. World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., Singapore.
- Hwang YH, Liao K-H, Guizzo AO. 2018. Neighbourhood landscape development process and design approaches. Chapter 4 (p. 80-92) in Tan PY, Liao K-H, Hwang YH, Chua V, editors. Nature, Place & People: Forging Connections through Neighbourhood Landscape Design. World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., Singapore.
- Tan PY, Liao K-H, Hwang YH, Chua V, Guizzo AO, Chan J. 2018b. Designing neighbourhood landscapes with landscape services. Chapter 5 (p. 94-202) in Tan PY, Liao K-H, Hwang YH, Chua V, editors. Nature, Place & People: Forging Connections through Neighbourhood Landscape Design. World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., Singapore.
- Liao K-H, Deng SN, Tan PY. 2017a. Blue-green infrastructure: New frontier for sustainable urban stormwater management. Chapter 10 (p.203-226) in Tan PY, Jim CY, editors. Greening Cities: Forms and Functions. Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd, Singapore.
(B) Conference Paper
- Liao KH. 2017b. The unjust redistribution of floodwater within the city: The case of Shezidao, Taipei City. River Cities: Water Space in Urban Development and History. Surabaya, Indonesia.
- Liao KH, Chan J, Tchapi M, Tan PY. 2016b. Exploring participatory design for sustainable landscape for public housing neighborhoods in Singapore. Conference Proceedings of the 10th Conference of the Pacific Rim Community Design Network, Hong Kong.
- Liao KH. 2014b. Towards resilient, floodable cities: Floodability as an alternative flood safety standard to promote river health. DSD International Conference 2014. Hong Kong. http://www.dsd.gov.hk/rdforum/2014/abstract/Paper%20(A1-3).pdf
- Liao KH, Tung YH, Huang SM. 2012. Community resilience and natural hazard management. Conference Proceedings of the 8th International Conference of the Pacific Rim Community Design Network, Seoul, South Korea.
- Tan PY, Liao K-H, Hwang YH, Chua V, editors. 2018a. Nature, Place & People: Forging Connections through Neighbourhood Landscape Design. World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., Singapore. https://www.worldscientific.com/worldscibooks/10.1142/10879#t=toc
(D) Invited Conference Presentations
- JC-WISE International Symposium on Water Sustainability. ‘River enhancement in the urban areas in Taiwan’. Hong Kong. 2019/07/11.
- IFLA (International Federation of Landscape Architects) World Congress Singapore 2018. ‘Landscape design with ecosystem services in high-density cities’. Singapore. 2018/07/19.
- International Forum of Taipei Water Environment and Management. ‘Resilience-based urban flood hazard mitigation: The important role of urban design’. Taipei City Government. 2016/03/07.
- 17th National-wide Symposium of Community Universities. ‘Urban governance that lives with floods’. Association of Community Universities Promotion. 2015/05/24.
- Building Resilient Settlements Symposium. ‘Flood resilience/ecological resilience’. University of Melbourne. 2013/11/25.
- The Professionals’ Forum on Integrated Urban Flood Management. ‘Environmental design strategies for flood retention and storage.’ Construction and Planning Agency, Ministry of the Interior, Taiwan. 2013/07/12.
- Taiwan Water Forum, ‘Retrofitting the built environment instead of flood control’. National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan. 2009/09/23.
(E)Selected Conference Presentations
- Liao KH. 2017. A neighbourhood landscape design framework for enhancing ecosystem services in the urban area. 1st International Conference on Community Ecology. Budapest, Hungary.
- Liao KH, Chan JKH. 2016. Two questions on ecological wisdom as an emerging research field. The Tongji Forum on Ecological Wisdom Inspired Urban and Rural Ecological Practice, Shanghai, China.
- Liao KH. 2015. The obstacles to and potentials for increasing riverine ecosystem services in high-density Asian cities: Hong Kong, Singapore, and Taipei. 18th International River Symposium. Brisbane, Australia.
- Liao KH, Tan PY. 2015. The “blue” in green infrastructure in high-density cities: Urban rivers and streams in Hong Kong, Singapore, and Taipei. 9th International Association for Landscape Ecology World Congress. Portland, Oregon, USA.
- Liao KH. 2014c. Flood resilience and flood adaptation in an urban low-income community in Metro Manila. The 9th International Conference of Pacific Rim Community Design Network, Taiwan.
- Liao KH. 2014d. Urban design principles for flood-resilience cities: Learning from the ecological wisdom of living with floods in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta. International Symposium on Ecological Wisdom for Urban Sustainability: Doing Real and Permanent Good in Landscape and Urban Planning. Chongqing, China.
- Fryd O, Liao KH, Tomlinson RH. 2013. Precedents and wicked problems. Wicked Problems in Socio-Ecological Systems Symposium & Workshop. UC Berkeley.
- Yocom K, Liao KH. 2013. Novel landscapes: river transformations and urban transitions. Council of Educations in Landscape Architecture (CELA) Annual Meeting. The University of Texas at Austin.
- Liao KH. 2010. The urban river as a coupled human and natural system: a case study on the Lower Green River, Washington, USA. 2nd International Conference on Urban Biodiversity & Design. Nagoya, Japan.
- Liao KH. 2009. Adaptive hydrologic infrastructure: a plausible solution to urban flooding in the face of climate change. 5th International Conference on Planning and Design. Tainan.