- Ph.D. in Built Environment, University of Washington (UW). 2012.
- Master of Landscape Architecture, University of Pennsylvania. 2003. Graduated with honors.
- Bachelor of Arts in Economics, National Taiwan University (NTU). 1996.
Flood resilience; flood adaptation in the urban area; urban stream and river management; urban sustainability; ecological design & planning; ecological wisdom; green infrastructure; coupled human-natural systems; land resumption and displacement; urban housing.
Peer-reviewed Journal Papers
- Liao KH, Le AT, Nguyen KV. 2016. Urban design principles for flood resilience: Learning from the ecological wisdom of living with floods in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta. Landscape and Urban Planning 155: 69-78.
- Liao KH, Chan JKH. 2016. What is ecological wisdom and how does it relate to ecological knowledge. Landscape and Urban Planning 155: 111-113.
- Castro Campos B, Yiu CY, Shen J, Liao KH, Maing M. 2016. The Anticipated housing pathways to homeownership of young people in Hong Kong. International Journal of Housing Policy 16(2): 223-242.
- Liao KH. 2014. From flood control to flood adaptation: A case study on the Lower Green River Valley and the City of Kent in King County, Washington. Natural Hazards 71: 723-750.
- Mugerauer R, Liao KH. 2013. Ecological design for dynamic systems: landscape architecture’s conjunction with complexity theory. Journal of Biourbanism (2012)2: 29-49
- Liao KH. 2012. A theory on urban resilience to floods—a basis for alternative planning practices. Ecology and Society 17(4): 48. http://dx.doi.org/10.5751/ES-05231-170448.
- Liao KH, Deng SN, Tan PY. 2017. Blue-green infrastructure: New frontier for sustainable urban stormwater management. Chapter 10 (p.203-226) in Tan PY, Jim CY, editors. Greening Cities: Forms and Functions. Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd, Singapore.
- Liao KH, Chan J, Tchapi M, Tan PY. 2016. Exploring participatory design for sustainable landscape for public housing neighborhoods in Singapore. Conference Proceedings of the 10th Conference of the Pacific Rim Community Design Network, Hong Kong.
- Liao KH. 2014. Towards resilient, floodable cities: Floodability as an alternative flood safety standard to promote river health. DSD International Conference 2014. Hong Kong. http://www.dsd.gov.hk/rdforum/2014/abstract/Paper%20(A1-3).pdf
- Liao KH, Tung YH, Huang SM. 2012. Community resilience and natural hazard management. Conference Proceedings of the 8th International Conference of the Pacific Rim Community Design Network, Seoul, South Korea.